If you are busy with very little time to really devote to working out and you only have a few minutes each day, then I would suggest some really simple exercises to keep you fit. Now, I don’t buy the “I have no time to workout attitude”. Sorry, not buying into that one. Everyone has a few minutes each day for exercise. You just need to make it a priority and get into the habit.
In fact, working out 5 times per week will actually make your more productive in the long term because you will feel energized, rather than lethargic sitting at your desk all day staring at the computer screen.
We probably spend more time on nonproductive things like watching TV, Facebooking or Twitter if we were really honest with ourselves. Why not combine both watching something you enjoy with working out. Before you know it, 20 or 30 minutes will have passed by and you are done your workout.
OK, let’s get back to planning out our exercise workout. It could even be 5 or 10 minutes. The entire point is to do something each and every day.
In just a few minutes each day, you will feel
- More energized
- Feel Better
- Look Better
- Less sick
I would personally recommend you invest at least 20 minutes per day, including some cardio.
Depending on whether or not you have some fitness equipment at home or not, you can still get healthy and shed some pounds, and fit in just a few minutes each day. However, if you do have some basic weights at home, here is what I would suggest first with equipment and then non equipment.
With Fitness Equipment at home:
- Bench press 2 x 6 – 8 reps
- Arm curls – standing – 3 x 6
- Tricep curls – laying down on the floor 2 x 6 – 8 reps
- Squats – 2 or 3 sets of 8 – 10
OK, this is done in succession with zero resting until you go through all exercises one time. Again, depending on how much equipment you have and how organized you are. Most people probably don’t have any equipment, so we will improvise and use our own body weight instead. Again, I’m just using the above as a guideline when you have limited time.
The above exercises could be done 3 times a week, with cardio every other day for 15 – 20 minutes.
When you don’t have exercise equipment or even the room for it, what do you do? Well, use your own body weight. The benefit of working out using your own body weight, you can do a large number of various exercises and change them up frequently.
By constantly changing your exercise routine up every 2nd week, you will confuse your muscles, which is what you are aiming for always. The more muscle confusion, the better you will
Exercising With Minimal Fitness Equipment:
- Pushups – 7 – 10 x 3 reps. Modify them too with close and wide positions
- Chair Dips – 6 – 10 x 3 reps
- Chin-up bar – Pull ups – as many as you can do. Do 2 – 3 reps. You can get them for about $30.
- Jumping Leg Squats – With your back straight, squat down and then jump up as high as you can. Repeat these 3 times and do as many as you can.
- Hanging knee raises – use chin up bar – 3 reps 6-8 or as many as you can
- Burpees – see video
- Resistance Bands – These are inexpensive and easy to use. You can do all kinds of exercises with these bands. The Tension is also adjustable on many of them too.
- Jump rope – inexpensive
- Interval running – can be down on treadmill or outside 20 minutes
- Combination – Running in standing spot with Burpees above
Let’s not forget about one of the most important areas since we are talking about getting into shape. Ensure you are eating a healthy and balanced nutritional diet, including lean meats, lots of vegetables and some fruits.
If you also cut out the crap in your diet, especially stuff with white flour, you will find yourself losing weight and getting into shape much more quickly. The main point here is to do something everyday if you can. Even on your off work out days, go out for a 20 minute walk to get some fresh air. You will feel refreshed and energized.